What We Do...Speech Therapy
After surgery or stroke traumas, patients may need therapy to facilitate communication or manage swallowing disorders. Often it involves the retraining of patients in breathing, swallowing and muscle control. Our speech therapists are pro-active in training family members as well.
Our Speech Therapists will…
- Assess baseline neuro-cognitive ability for immediate and recent memory, problem solving and abstract reasoning
- Help with safety awareness in the home environment
- Treat aphasia (difficulty in speaking)
- Train family on communication systems
- Provide strategies to aid in word finding
- Help with interpretative training of maps, prescriptions, appointment cards, etc.
- Provide memory and naming strategies
Patients with the following diagnoses may benefit from speech therapy.
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Dysphagia/Swallowing Disorders
Please call 508-366-1766 for more information or additional assistance.